Volunteering at the Festival
Volunteers are integral to the running of the Festival and in contributing a few hours of your time, you become part of the community that enables this Festival to happen.
Similar to 2016, the volunteer application process will utilise the web site, requiring volunteers to complete the online application form below indicating which roles and tasks you prefer. The volunteer committee will email information to the volunteers with designated tasks and duties.
The committee is open to enthusiastic individuals wanting to take on a greater role with the Folk Festival so if you are keen to get more involved, talk to a committee member to see if there is a role of interest to you. With committee changes, there is always room for more volunteers on the committee. We are always looking for volunteers for the important tasks on the logistics team and decorating the town. Please consider assisting us, as without our volunteer committee we do not have a festival. While the time is not huge or cumbersome other than the festival weekend, every little bit helps and these roles are essential if we want to keep the festival going.
Volunteers will be wearing the stylish vests at the Festival and we will have the pre-Festival get together and briefing on Wednesday 22nd March.
For those who have volunteered before, thanks for signing up again, and for those who are first timers, welcome.
We would be asking volunteers to commit to at least 2 hours as a minimum and if wanting to do more, even better.
The committee have decided to reduce the number of hours to receive the 1/2 price and free ticket.
So Volunteers who complete 5 hours of volunteer work will receive a ½ price festival ticket.
Volunteers who complete 10 hours of volunteer work will receive a free festival ticket.
Invitation to gathering after festival for volunteers (food and drink provided)
Please indicate the specific job preferences when applying. We will endeavour to meet your preferences for the tasks and available time, but we may have gaps to fill, so may also make requests for certain jobs.
- Manage artists and stage at various venues.
- To liaise with venue control, sound technicians and performers
- To introduce artists and make announcements.
- The aim is to kill the dead time during performer change overs with mention of sponsors, cleaning up rubbish as patrons leave a venue, but keep in mind it is the performers show.
- Be at entry points at venues to check patrons have Festival wristbands.
- Provide information to patrons and liaise with venue management for any specified tasks
- Based at the YCC in the main street of Yackandandah opposite the Star Hotel, the site will include the ticketing section, merchandise and sales, performer registration and volunteer desk. If you have a specific preference in the festival office please let us know.
- Assist with the logistics team in set up of venues, such as marquee, stage, chairs, toilets and rubbish.
- Assist with packing up at end of Festival
- Assist with set up of food and refreshments for performers at the green room.
- Provide supervision for instruments
Media / promotion
- Organise the media coverage of the festival, liaising with radio, print, television.
Social media / Online communications
- Assist with uploading and managing content on the festival website before the festival
- Post updates to the festival website, facebook page and instagram account during the festival weekend
- Editing of videos and photos for online sharing
- Recycling and waste management.
- Assist with directing and managing festival car parking area
- Participate in putting up posters throughout the region.
- Decoration of venues.
- Assist in any street decorating activities.
- This venue will be predominantly for young people. Tasks may include; assist with set up of the shed, decorations, sound technician training and assist, venue management and control, etc
- There is often change in the committee with openings for individuals who wish to be more involved in contributing to the Folk Festival. If you are interested mark this category and a committee representative will have further discussions with you. You may indicate what area you are most interested in.
- Assist with activities as directed. Activities may be musical, art/craft, games etc.